Saturday, May 15, 2010

Ryan catches a forty inch muskie!

Even though it was the 2010 walleye opener I didn't want to fish today at all, but my nephew Ryan stayed over night and really wanted to get out fishing. I relented and reluctantly brought him along with Genna and Lucas to Lake Waconia. I was dang crabby all day long! I had been in contact with Mike Thompson and he said he would be out there in the pontoon with a bunch of GEM kids. We were fishing between the marina's, not catching much but some small panfish. We saw one dude had on a huge fish which turned out to be a muskie, quite large too.

Lucas and Ryan were not content with panfish, and wanted to go trolling for bigger game (we knew there was a possibility of a token muskie). So Lucas was using a Buzzbait and Ryan a Chatterbait. We were trolling along in front of the marina in about 12 FOW when something smacked Ryan's Chatterbait. It didn't take but a few seconds for me to realize it was a muskie! He fought it like a pro for close to ten minutes and we got it in. 40 inches. Well, it measured 39" but I forgot to pinch the tail! Lucas filmed with Ryan's camera, you can paste the link into your browser to see the vid. I'll warn you that the fish wasn't handled all that well with some squirming in the bottom of the boat plus a couple drops...ooops! We released her and she swam away relatively unharmed so that's good. Ryan was very proud of his muskie. I don't know what it is about my dead brother's kids....they always catch big fish!






http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9XCXm_jLVg

This next picture is from Lucas. He composed the elements and took the picture. I don't know what it's all about but it's pretty important to him so I had better post it!

No comments: