Wednesday, January 13, 2010

GRAND RAPIDS REPORT

I recently returned from Grand Rapids after four days of fishing for pannies, mostly targeting giant bluegills. Me and Andy stayed in a really nice clean resort cabin (Wildwood Resort) on Bass lake on thursday and friday ahead of the rest of the crowd...they arrived on saturday morning. We did all of our fishing on Bass lake.

We knew we were in for very cold weather for the first three days with temp highs barely getting above zero. It turned out that the first day we had the best fishing with overcast conditions. I also did really well on day two, but Andy didn't fare as well. Day three high pressure really affected the bite for me (Andy did better than me). And by day four the weather was actually back to respectable limits and found the fish a bit more cooperative.

We caught most of our fish in around 20 FOW. All in all I caught a few big gills close to the ten inch mark. I also registered a tie for my personal best bluegill that measured 10.5" We also found occasional slab crappies roaming the basin. I had the best luck on a Little Atom Atomic Stealth jig tipped with either Gulp! Alive waxies in red or spikes. Andy was hammering fish on a Fiskas jig with hooks coming out of either end and loaded with a couple spikes. Here's a bunch of pictures I took, so enjoy!






Andy nabs a big gill





Mike Thompson with some slabs!





Another beauty for Andy



Good crappie action for Bass lake
Here's my 10.5" bluegill. I wish I had taken more pictures.












2 comments:

Shouldbfishin said...

Thanks for the great trip Solo!

Michael Thompson said...

nice fishies guys!