Friday, May 23, 2008

Annie Battle lake action 5/19-22/2008

Yesterday I got back from from my camping/fishing trip @ Glendalough State Park. The fishing for crappies was excellent, the fishing for bluegills was pathetic. I tried for walleyes ana stream outlet, but didn't catch any. I was camping and fishing the west shore, and what really increased the bluegill bite was the wind blowing into the shore. Monday and thursday the winds were favorable and the bluegill bite was on. Tuesday/wednesday saw north to northwest winds post-frontal conditions which really slowed the bluegill action. East to southeast winds are best, which is what happened on monday and thursday.

Ready to go monday morning...


The campsite is carry-in only. Two trips to get my stuff to my campsite...
href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgzXVhnraUyexWRGO5iSw5tfVcDQWs05EK6qDnCWT7H2Pi7wPOjca6SiPcdHqsmJZaj2T-xpIYuPd0PAHtJ_QYnzFo5RrMkmiHp6oqOdx1uWMs8iw8h5ZPe7GtFmlxvud2cwYEg6ncJDfZQ/s1600-h/2carry+in.jpg">

Arriving at campsite...


My campsite is right by the lake. This is the view about 50 feet away. The lake is down a small bluff. I kept my canoe, float tube, ant other things right at lakeside...


Here's a view of my campsite from a trail that goes around the lake...


The campgrounds are a beautiful...


The best fishing I found was in the reeds. They were right in front of my campsite and extended a couple hundred yards along the shoreline...


I decided to fish in the canoe first. So I anchored in front of some reeds ans started fishing. First fish of the trip was this small bass. They were everywhere! I didn't catch any big ones, though I heard there are some monsters in there...


Here's the first crappie. Most crappies were 11-12" fish. This one was close to 12", they were spawning and very easy to catch. 11" minimum and five per day limit on the crappies. Most I caught were realeased...


Another slab...


Crappie eye...


On my second trip out in the canoe, I fell out of it!!! Fortunately it didn't capsize, and the only thing I lost was my favorite baseball cap. Here's a pic of my clothes drying...


I didn't want to mess with the canoe anymore, so I used my float tube for the rest of the trip...


Here's a bluegill. The size of these gills were small compared to my two trips there. Still early. In a couple weeks the bigger ones will be in. I hear you can catch 'em up to a pound...


A hybrid...


Another gill...


Pumpkinseed mouth...

Typical of the size of the crappies. Didn't catch any bigger that 12"...


A nice male...


Some ready to be cleaned...


My new camera is waterproof, so I took some pictures underwater of the spawning crappies. Got some video too, and I'll post those as soon as I figure out how to do that...




No comments: